labelled Joannes Baptista filius Laurentii Guadagnini fecit Placentiae 1747
length of back 14in., 35.5cm.
Sold with a letter from W.E. Hill & Sons, London, dated 12th October 2021Provenance
The violin is first recorded in 1887, when it was sold by W.E. Hill & Sons to a Mr. H. Porter of Russell Square, London, for £110. Hills sold the violin again in 1913 to Leon Kon for Paul Kochanski (Kon was Kochanski's father-in-law) for £600
In May 1925 Kochanski exchanged the violin, again through Hills, for the 1774 Guadagnini which bears his name, and in October it was sold to the renowned Chilean collector Antonio Antoncich in 1925, for £1,000. At the same time he also purchased the celebrated Primrose
Andrea Guarneri viola of 1697 and the Antoncich; Ward
Guarneri del Gesù of 1735.
On page 85 of The Guadagnini Family of Violin Makers
, Doring notes "An excellent violin by Guadagnini, dated 1747, is owned by Señor Antonio Antoncich, of Santiago, Chile. His collection includes several other fine instruments purchased from Hill & Sons."
In a letter to W.E. Hill & Sons just prior to these purchases, Antoncich explains how his friend Willy Burmester (see photograph, lot 148) suggested he consider a violin by Lorenzo Guadagnini, and Antoncich asks Hills to recommend whichever they consider the best. Hills response must have been to recommend this example from 1747. Subsequent scholarship has of course shown that Lorenzo Guadagnini did not make any violins!
The violin was subsequently owned by the Chilean violinist Pedro d'Andurain, who died in 1974, and was offered at Sotheby's in March 1989, together with a certificate from W.E. Hill & Sons dated 28th
September 1925. The violin was sold to the family of the current owner, with whom it has remained until now.More information about Antoncich and his collection can be found here.