Born in Merlara, Padua in 1842, Eugenio Degani worked with his father Domenico, also a violin maker, in Montagnana from about 1870. In 1888 he settled in Venice, where he remained until his death in 1901. A very refined craftsman, his work is marked by many flourishes and affectations, and is of very personal appearance, while holding to good classical proportions and principles. His very successful workshop employed Giovanni Schwarz, Luigi Chiericato, Ettore Siega, and his son Giulio Degani; the business became ‘Degani e Figlio’ from 1898. He collected a trove of medals at exhibitions and competitions in Paris, Bologna, Turin and Palermo.