A member of a family of Mirecourt violin and bow-makers, Paul Bailly was born in 1844 and trained with Jules Gaillard. He subsequently worked for Nicolas Vuillaume in Brussels and then for his more celebrated brother, Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume in Paris. He travelled widely, working in Lille, Douai, Rhiems and then London and Leeds, and on to America. He returned to Paris in 1899, where his premises were opened at 197 rue de Grenelle. He died in 1907 and the shop was taken over by his daughter Jenny, who remains one of the few recorded female violin makers of historical times. Bailly’s output is wide and quite varied by the very classical strictures of the Mirecourt/Parisian traditions, with some notably experimental varnishes with widely differing textures and colours. Nevertheless, his instruments are always expertly fashioned models of classical Cremonese work.