Giulio Degani was born in Montagnana in 1875, the son of Eugenio. He worked for his father in Venice, the shop being known as ‘Degani e Figlio’ from 1898. Following Eugenio’s death in 1901 he took over the business, but moved to join the Wurlitzer company in New York in 1915, then to the Cincinnati workshop in 1918. He opened his own shop there in 1924, but struggled to establish himself, joining Jago Peternella in New York for two years before moving again to Atlantic City in 1934. There a flood damaged his shop, and in 1935 he returned to Cincinnati. However, he was unable to support himself entirely with violin making, and worked as a labourer and a violin teacher. In 1952 he closed the shop, and he died in 1959. His work is fine and stylish, and generally more restrained than that of his father.
Tim Ingles and Paul Hayday will offer an initial evaluation of the authenticity and value of your instrument or bow. At this stage, the assessment is free and without obligation. In the first instance, we suggest submitting good-quality images to us, preferably by email to email@example.com or by completing the valuation form.Read more