Initially trained as a violinist, Bellafontana was born in Genoa in 1906, and became a pupil of Oreste Candi, with whom he worked until 1935. He then established a shop in Pegli, on the outskirts of Genoa, later moving into the city itself, in via Davide Chiossone. After 1945 he worked in Piazza Paolo da Novi, then via Paolo Giacometti and lastly in Corso Torino. He was appointed curator of the ex-Paganini Cannone del Guarneri, housed in the municipal offices, in 1967. He died in 1979. His early work is influenced by his teacher, Candi, but in the post-war period he followed more orthodox classical models. A prolific and refined maker, using a red spirit varnish and a deep golden ground.
Tim Ingles and Paul Hayday will offer an initial evaluation of the authenticity and value of your instrument or bow. At this stage, the assessment is free and without obligation. In the first instance, we suggest submitting good-quality images to us, preferably by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by completing the valuation form.Read more