The younger son and successor of Auguste, ‘Bernardel Père’, Gustave was born in 1832 and entered the family business in 1849. Following his father’s retirement in 1866, he ran the shop with his brother Ernest and Eugène Gand as ‘Gand & Bernardel Frères’. Ernest retired in 1886, when the business became ‘Gand & Bernardel’, and following Gustave’s own retirement in 1901, the shop passed to Caressa & Francias. Gustave was appointed luthier to the Paris Conservatoire and made Chevalier d’Honneur in 1900. During his lifetime the Bernardel shop continued to make fine bows and instruments, but repair and restoration gradually took precedence over new production.