Born in Bologna in 1869, Cesare Candi was a pupil of Raffaele Fiorini, alongside Pollastri and Monterumici, until 1883 and in 1888 he was established in Genoa, working with his brother Oreste, devoting much of their time to plucked instruments. Together they took over the workshop of Eugenio Praga, and subsequently focused attention on bowed instruments. In 1915 Cesare was appointed to take care of Paganini’s ‘Cannon’ del Gesù, which the Maestro had bequeathed to his native city. The brothers were very prolific, and in later years employed Giuseppe Bernardo Lecchi as assistant until Cesare’s death in 1947. Candi’s work is finely crafted and very highly finished on Stradivarian models, with a good clear orange or red-brown varnish.