The craftsman responsible for sustaining the dominant reputation of French bowmaking into the twentieth century, Eugène Nicolas Sartory was born in Mirecourt in 1871, the son and pupil of Joseph Eustache. At a very young age he worked with Peccatte and Lamy in Paris before opening his own business at 12 boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle in 1889, aged only 18.
He later worked at 13 rue de Faubourg, in 1902, and from 1912 at 3 Trévise. For the duration of the First World War he was called to national service, and his shop closed, but from 1918 he employed assistants, who included Louis Morizot, Jules Fétique and Louis Gilet, opened another shop in Le Perreux-sur-Marne. His style evolved into a slightly stronger version of the Lamy bow, and he was awarded prizes at Brussels, Lyons, Liège, Milan and London. He died in 1946, but his work is still widely copied.
Tim Ingles and Paul Hayday will offer an initial evaluation of the authenticity and value of your instrument or bow. At this stage, the assessment is free and without obligation. In the first instance, we suggest submitting good-quality images to us, preferably by email to email@example.com or by completing the valuation form.Read more