Edward Sidney Munns Withers was the son of Edward Newman Withers (II), born in 1870. He was active in the shop run by his father from 1885, following the departure of Edward’s brother George in 1878. When George’s shop closed in 1931, Edward established his own shop at 122 Wardour Street. He died in 1922.
Sidney Bernard Withers, (1873-1942) was a younger brother of Edward Sidney, and ran the Wardour Street shop with his brother Douglas Sidney ((1879-1962) until his death. The business was then taken over by Douglas’ nephew Edward Stanley Withers (1904-1987) and passed to Dietrich Kessler (1929-2006) in 1969. Continuing under the Withers name, it passed from Kessler to Adam Whone in 1987, and moved to Windmill Street before finally closing in 1997.
Tim Ingles and Paul Hayday will offer an initial evaluation of the authenticity and value of your instrument or bow. At this stage, the assessment is free and without obligation. In the first instance, we suggest submitting good-quality images to us, preferably by email to email@example.com or by completing the valuation form.Read more