W.E. Hill & Sons was established by William Ebsworth Hill in 1880 and moved to New Bond Street in London’s West End in 1882. The bow making workshop was in Hanwell in West London and employed many of the great names of English bow making, including Samuel Allen, Bill Retford and Sidney Yeoman. Retford worked at Hills for 64 years, training more than one generation in the Hill bow making style, including Arthur Bultitude and Bill Watson. The Hill style, based on Tourte’s violin bows and Voirin’s cello bows, was rigorously enforced, and resulted in a very consistent output, yet with a broad range of styles, from engraved gold & tortoiseshell ‘fleur-de-lys’ to plain ebony frogs mounted in silver.
Tim Ingles and Paul Hayday will offer an initial evaluation of the authenticity and value of your instrument or bow. At this stage, the assessment is free and without obligation. In the first instance, we suggest submitting good-quality images to us, preferably by email to email@example.com or by completing the valuation form.Read more