The son of a cabinet maker, born in Pizzighettone, near Cremona, in 1879, Giuseppe Pedrazzini moved to Milan in 1903, where he came under the influence of Romeo Antoniazzi. He was established independently in 1906 and appointed luthier to the Conservatoire and Opera in Milan. His work is amongst the finest of the twentieth century Italian school, and he was awarded many prizes at exhibitions and competitions including Rome in 1920 and Cremona in 1937. Among his assistants were Ferdinando Garimberti, Piero Parravicini and his nephew Natale Novelli. The workshop was prolific and exported many instruments to London. The modelling is very refined, using the forms of all the classical Cremonese makers, and generally covered with a very subtle golden-orange or red varnish.