According to Friedrich Böhm (1964), the violin was originally owned by Aldo Ferraresi (1902-1978). Ferraresi played on many precious violins including King George Stradivarius and Cannone Guarneri del Gèsu. The violin then passed to Ludwig Roselius, the owner of the Kaffee Hag coffee brand and co-developer of the first commercial decaffination process. It subsequently passed through the hands of a few private owners until it was loaned for several years to the young Berlin soloist, Helge Hussels.
In the 1990s the Ferraresi was owned by Hans Joachim Hytrek of Darmstadt, a German collector. Hytrek sold it via Dietmar Machold to the American collector Herbert Axelrod around 2001, then it was sold as part of the Axelrod Collection to the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra in 2003. The NJSO sold the whole collection to a New York based hedge fund in 2007, who consigned it to Ingles & Hayday in 2013.